Client FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a developmental disability?

An estimated 1.8 % of the population, or more than 59,400 Oregonians, have a developmental disability. A developmental disability is a chronic physical and/or mental impairment that occurs before a person is 22 years old, and that affects the person's abilities in at least three of the following areas: communication, capacity for independent living, economic self-sufficiency, learning, mobility, self-care and/or self-direction. Examples of developmental disabilities include cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, and qualifying IQ levels identifying disability. As a result of a developmental disability the person may require lifelong supports and services. (Information provided by the Developmental Disabilities Coalition.)

The definition of a developmental disability for adults used by Oregon county developmental disability services is a disability attributable to qualifying IQ level, autism, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, or other neurological conditions which requires training or supports similar to that required by individuals with qualifying IQ level, and the disability: 

  1. Originates before the individual attains the age of 22 years, except that in the case of qualifying IQ level the condition must be manifested before the age of 18; and
  2. Has continued, or can be expected to continue, indefinitely; and
  3. Constitutes a substantial disabling impact to the ability of the individual to function in society; or
  4. Results in significant sub-average general intellectual functioning with concurrent deficits in adaptive behavior which are manifested during the developmental period. Individuals of borderline intelligence may be considered to have qualifying IQ level if there is also serious impairment of adaptive behavior. Definitions and classifications shall be consistent with the Case Management Rule Definitions 309-041-0404 (15).


What counties does Full Access serve?

Full Access serves Lane county. There are multiple brokerages across the state of Oregon. Each county is served in some way by an area brokerage.


How does someone become a Full Access client?

Clients come to Full Access through their county developmental disabilities services case manager. Full Access clients must be Oregon residents with a developmental disability, at least 18 years of age, and living at home or on their own (not receiving comprehensive services, foster care or other residential care). The county DDS determines which clients are enrolled each month at Full Access. The individual should contact their County Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities office or case manager, to determine if they may be eligible for brokerage services. Once an individual is eligible for support services through the brokerage they are entitled to receive assistance.


Return to top


When are people enrolled into the brokerage?

Individuals are enrolled into the brokerage on the 1st of the month that they are eligible to be enrolled


What happens if someone chooses not to enroll in the brokerage?

The person remains with the county developmental disabilities services.


If someone is not a US citizen are they still eligible for support services?

Yes, only if they are found eligible by the County Developmental Disabilities Program. If they are found eligible they will receive general fund dollars for support services


Return to top


Can an individual receive Senior/Disabled funding and be in a Support Services Brokerage?

No, and individual cannot receive support services from both systems. They will receive services via the system from which they are determined eligible based on their primary disability.


What if someone has a dual diagnosis?

If their primary diagnosis is that of a developmental disability and they need supports in regard to this disability, then they are eligible for support services. They may also be receiving services via the mental health system.


Where is Full Access located?  

Full Access has  locations in Eugene and Cottage Grove.  Further contact information and maps to the offices are at our Contact Us page.


Return to top


What are the services that Full Access provides?

Full Access provides the following services and supports: 

  1. Assisting individuals with developmental disabilities to determine their needs, plan support services in response to those needs, and develop individualized budgets based on available resources
  2. Assisting individuals with developmental disabilities to find and arrange the resources necessary to implement support services
  3. Assisting individuals with developmental disabilities in assuring the effective implementation of their plans over time, and help make adjustments to the plan or plan goals as necessary
  4. Providing information, education, and technical assistance for individuals with developmental disabilities in order to help facilitate effective plan implementation
  5. Facilitating development and expansion of community resources
  6. Assuring and assisting individuals with developmental disabilities in monitoring the quality of their supports


How are client services funded?

To learn more about how client services are funded visit our Planning Supports page.


What can my support service money buy?

Support service dollars are used to purchase disability related supports in any of 16 categories: community inclusion, community living supports, environmental accessibility adaptations, supported employment services, respite care, family training, homemaker, non-medical transportation, chore service, occupational therapy services, personal emergency response system, physical therapy services, special diets, specialized medical equipment and supplies, specialized supports, speech, hearing, and language services.


Return to top


Can I buy my services from local agencies?

Yes, you can choose to purchase your support from agencies in your community.

There are many excellent organizations that provide services such as respite, help with finding, learning and keeping a job, behavior support consultation, life skills, and personal care. The extensive list of options is available at the Full Access offices.


Will an individual's SSI be affected by them receiving your services?

No, because the support service monies are utilized to pay employees or other services, the support service monies are not coming directly to the client. Therefore, it does not affect SSI or social security benefits.


What is a personal agent or PA?

A personal agent (PA) works for their client to assist them in planning and developing disability-related supports so that they truly meet the client's needs. The PA assists the client in identifying dreams and goals, determining the support needs necessary to pursue and achieve those dreams and goals, and finding the resources needed to provide those supports. The PA identifies resources available and then the client prioritizes and makes the choices.


Return to top


What is a transfer meeting?

When a client enrolls at Full Access, a transfer meeting takes place with the client and whomever they would like to attend with them (i.e. family), the county case manager (also known as the support specialist), and the Full Access personal agent. This transfer meeting does not mean the end of the involvement of the county case manager in the life of the client, it is simply a transfer of the primary support role to the personal agent.


What is a person centered planning process?

A person centered planning process is a series of conversations and/or a specific type of planning meeting. These conversations help the personal agent get to know the client and all the different aspects of their life: education and employment, home life, social and leisure, transportation, medical and health, communication, finances, and long term vision. This process assists the client in setting goals, determining needs, planning for supports, and reviewing and redesigning support strategies. These conversations assist in identifying the client's preferences and choices.


What is a fiscal intermediary? What is PPL?

The State of Oregon has retained the services of a fiscal intermediary to handle the payment of support services to Personal Support Workers (PSWs). This company is called PPL and they are a payroll company. They will write the paychecks to the PSWs that the client employs as well as process all of the tax related documents that the employer is responsible for.


Return to top


What other resources may I want to contact?

Please see our Resources/Links page for related resources on the web.